Changes to urgent care services in Bexley – frequently asked questions

NHS Bexley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), has been working with patients to redesign services for people with urgent but non-life threatening conditions. This can include broken bones, sprains and strains, burns and scalds and bites and stings.

The walk-in service at Crayford Town Surgery and the minor injuries unit at Northumberland Heath closed on 1 October. However, in addition to the existing Urgent Care Centre (UCC) at Queen Mary’s Hospital that is open 365 days a year, 24-hours a day, a new UCC opened on 1 October at Erith Hospital. Erith UCC will be open every day from 8am to 10pm.

The new services will improve access to healthcare for Bexley residents and make it easier for patients to identify where they need to go for advice and treatment if they become injured or unwell. 

If you are a registered patient at Crayford Town Surgery can I still go there for a doctor’s appointment?

Yes. If patients are a registered patient with Crayford Town Surgery they will still be treated by the same doctors and nurses. However, an appointment must be booked first.


If I am not registered at Crayford Town Surgery – can I still see the doctors and nurses here?

No. As the walk-in service closed, only patients registered at Crayford Town Surgery with a booked appointment can use Crayford Town Surgery. Alternatively, patients can call the NHS 111 service by dialling 111 and ask for healthcare advice if they are unsure about where to go with a specific injury or illness.


Will the minor injuries unit at Northumberland Heath remain open?

No, the minor injuries unit closed on the 1 October. However, patients (including children) with injuries such as a sprained ankle can go to the UCC at Erith Hospital – just next door to Northumberland Heath minor injuries unit.

Patients registered at Northumberland Heath Medical Practice with a booked appointment will still be treated by their regular doctors and nurses.


Where should residents in Bexley go if they become injured or unwell?

For a full, comprehensive guide about where to go for healthcare treatment or advice, please click here.


Who can I contact to find out more?

To find out more call free phone, 0800 328 9712 or email